In 1969, a few months after American Astronaut Neil Armstrong landed on the moon; three entrepreneurs formed a company which would grow in global significance- a company that heralded the new industry of international air express distribution. This became known as DHL. The first office was opened on the island state of Hawaii and three decades later, the company serves customers in over 200 countries, spans three continents and counts its deliveries in the millions.
In 1988 this well thought out dream came to Jamaica. The first office was situated on Barry Street in downtown Kingston and with a staff complement of nine, a Can Do attitude, DHL Jamaica began to garner national recognition. After only a decade, that small office led the way for three (3) branches, 28 express counters, and over 90 staff members.
DHL Jamaica’s first class service includes:
- DHL Express
- DHL Freight
- DHL Global Forwarding
- DHL Excel Supply Chain
- DHL Global Mail
- DHL Import Express
- Shippers’ Interest Insurance
They also offer:
- collection outlets island wide as part of a partnership with Grace Kennedy Remittance Services
- the option of establishing an account for convenient billing
- DHL Connect- DHL’s own shipping/tracking software that enables customers to schedule their pick up and track their packages at their convenience
- free pick ups to all customers
- volume and front counter drop off discounts
- Saturday pick ups at no additional charge
- flat rate billing.
DHL Jamaica has a strong commitment to sports development and is the sole corporate entity supporting the National Female Basketball programme, with an investment of $1.5 million in 2005. They also have contributed to the swimming programme at Wolmers’ Boys and Girls Schools in the form of towels and T-Shirts and made contributions to Missionaries of the Poor including a 1999 Mitsubishi L300 van. DHL Jamaica is the largest contributor to the DHL Group in the Caribbean and ranks within the top ten of 50 Latin American Countries for service quality.